Monastrell Onion Transplants- Certified Organic
$14.99 – $49.99
Place Your Spring Pre-Order Now! Transplants Ship Only Mid-April
Monastrell Certified Organic Onion Transplants
Monastrell Certified Organic Onions produce strong upright plants that have good disease resistance and impressive yields. They are medium-large uniform in size with beautiful coloring, both inside & out. Vigorous & easy to grow, Monastrell onions store well & have stunning market appeal when bunched fresh. An intermediate day variety, Monastrell onions are well adapted for latitudes from Maine to Northern Texas.
- Deep maroon coloring with nice market appeal
- 4-5″ globe shape bulbs
- Vigorous & EASY to grow
- Intermediate day– produces well with 12 to 14 hours of sunlight
- Adapted for latitudes from Maine to Northern Texas
- Red Storage Onion- Store up to 4-6 months!
- 106 days from transplant
- TRANSPLANT INFORMATION: Our freshly dug onion & leek transplants are greenhouse grown on a small family farm & are dormant when shipped. It is normal for them to be a bit pale & slightly dry due to dormancy & shipping. In fact, onions are very hardy & can live off of the bulb for approximately three weeks. Generally, we recommend planting within one week of receiving. These healthy transplants will thrive if well cared for.
- SHIPPING INFORMATION: We ship all dormant transplants Mid-April. For best results, plant as soon as you can or within a week. Keep in a cool, dry area until planting.
- REGIONAL ONION PLANTING: Our onions are well-adapted for mid-northern states, latitude range 35-45°. If your region requires earlier planting, consider our Naturally-Grown Onion Sets that begin shipping early March. If you require onion sets/plants earlier than March, we recommend finding a source closer to your region. For more information, see our Keene Garlic Seasonal Order Shipping Guide.
Basic Onion Growing Info
Sun Requirement: Onions require full sun – the more the better! Therefore, avoid planting next to crops that might shade your onions.
Soil Fertility: Adding compost or a balanced organic fertilizer is essential for growing healthy onions, especially if your soil fertility is low. For the best growth and yield, onions need fertilizer at planting time and additional side dressing throughout the growing season. Our Keene Garlic Fertilizer is great for all alliums!
Planting: Onions grow best on raised beds or raised rows at least 4″ high. Typically, onions can be planted as early as 4 to 6 weeks before the last estimated spring frost.
***For detailed instructions on how to grow onions from planting to fertilizing, all the way to harvest/storage, see this post on our blog: Keene Garlic Onion Transplant Guide
Onion, Shallot & Leek Transplants ship Mid-April ONLY.
***For more information about the shipping of our products, see the Keene Garlic Seasonal Order Shipping Guide.
*It is the purchaser’s responsibility to assure items selected will grow in their USDA hardiness zone and to choose appropriate ship dates. Local Extension offices are great resources for gardening information specific to each region and are highly recommended.
ABOUT US: Keene Garlic works closely with small organic farmers who have been growing for generations to produce top notch products for your garden or homestead. We personally have had continued success with these high-quality spring products for years and are delighted to share our favorites with you. When you purchase from Keene Garlic you are supporting small organic family farms, and you are making a difference!
|Number of Transplants
25 Transplants, 50 Transplants, 75 Transplants, 100 Transplants
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.