Dark Red Norland Seed Potato – Organic
$8.99 – $42.99
Place Your Spring Pre-Order Now! Shipping begins Late February.
Dark Red Norland Seed Potato
Organic Dark Red Norland Seed Potato is the quintessential “new” potato!
A remarkable variety, Organic Dark Red Norland Seed Potato is always our first one dug out of the field, with thin, red skins that beg to be kept on. These were developed for shorter season growers in the north but truly are adaptable to most conditions. Dark Red Norlands have high yields but do not store for the long haul. You’ll want to use them up throughout the summer as they make fantastic roasted potatoes as well as the prettiest potato salad to bring to the potluck. A potato variety like this is one-of-a-kind and will have you wanting more.
- Early Season Potatoes
- 65-80 days
- Bright White Flesh & Deep Red Skin
- High yields
- Short Storing
ORGANIC & HOMEGROWN: Our seed potatoes are grown on a small organic family farm in Wisconsin & are double certified. Certified Organic by MOSA and also certified by the Wisconsin Seed Potato Certification Program to bring gardeners the healthiest, disease-free potatoes without varietal mixture.
SEED POTATO ARRIVAL: Organic Seed Potatoes will arrive in a netted bag labeled by variety. Seed potatoes aren’t always pretty and may have slight shriveling, sprouting or minor blemishes. This is completely normal and will not affect the potato’s performance. If you will not be planting within 2 weeks of arrival, remove the potatoes from the netted bag and store seed in a cool, dark place.
Basic Potato Growing Information
- Location: Potatoes like full sun coupled with fertile, well-drained soil. Equally important, keeping the weeds at bay assures a good crop.
- Water: Potatoes need ~1″ of water per week, consistent watering is key. Discontinue watering when plants die back.
- Planting Time: Potatoes can be planted as soon as the ground can be worked, although some folks wait a bit to make sure the soil is not too wet. Soil temp around 45F is ideal. This time will vary by region. (In Wisconsin, we aim to get our potatoes in by the end of April.) Check with your local Extension office for information specific to your area. Potatoes can tolerate a light frost, however, they may need protection if there is a hard, late frost.
- Bed Feet per Pound: 1-lb bag plants approximately 6-8 row feet, depending on the variety. If a seed potato is over 1 inch in diameter, you can cut them into pieces. Leave 1 – 2 eyes per piece. Average is 6-8 pieces/lb., more for Fingerlings. Average planting rate: 10-12″ apart, in rows 30-36″ apart.
- Easy to Grow: Potatoes are very adaptable, therefore, will almost always grow a respectable crop even when conditions are not perfect.
How to Plant and Harvest Potatoes
For more information, including how-to photos, see our Potato Planting blog. Step-by-step planting instructions will also be provided with your order.
Organic seed potato shipping starts in Late February. Choose your ship date upon checkout.
***For more information about the shipping of our products, see the Keene Garlic Seasonal Order Shipping Guide.
*It is the purchaser’s responsibility to assure items selected will grow in their USDA hardiness zone and to choose appropriate ship dates. Local Extension offices are great resources for gardening information specific to each region and are highly recommended.
ABOUT US: Keene Garlic works closely with small organic farmers who have been growing for generations to produce top notch products for your garden or homestead. We personally have had continued success with these high-quality spring products for years and are delighted to share our favorites with you. When you purchase from Keene Garlic you are supporting small organic family farms, and you are making a difference!
1lb, 3lb, 5lb, 10lb
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.